Developing Nordic talent has always been at the core of Nordisk Panorama. For the past 30 years we have provided both a festival showcase for the best Nordic films and an industry platform to pitch new projects, network internationally, and enable co-productions. We have a strong and established network within the Nordic documentary community and have built partnerships & connections throughout the international documentary industry. With this strong backbone we are very excited to present a new Nordisk Panorama initiative: DOC FORWARD.
DOC FORWARD is a project-driven co-production workshop for emerging Nordic documentary producers and directors, with a focus on nationally established and new talent directors with ambitions to go international in partnership with both new and more established producers. The 2-part workshop will provide a network and the knowledge to work professionally within the Nordic documentary sector. The intention is to have great documentaries being developed at the workshop and secure their first Nordic/international launch. Production companies in the Nordic region, can effectively use the programme to develop new projects and introduce directors and/or producers to the Nordic documentary market and to the Nordic financiers.
The first part of the workshop will be held 28-30 January 2020 in Helsinki with the possibility to stay for DocPoint Helsinki International Documentary Film Festival. The second part of the will take place in the end of April, concluding with the projects pitching to Nordic film commissioners and commissioning editors, followed by individual meetings.
DOC FORWARD is funded through generous support from DFI, SFI, NFI, and AVEK.
DOC FORWARD 2020 will include:
- 12 projects of very high quality with international potential
- 12 director/producer teams
- 10-12 Nordic commissioning editors present for the 2nd workshop pitching
- All Nordic countries represented among the participants
- Experienced Nordic tutors with both directing and producing skills
- Project development for the regional and international market
- Insights and knowledge about the Nordic and international documentary market
- Unique networking possibilities with Nordic colleagues
- Introductions to Nordic film commissioners and commissioning editors
- Rough-cut information session included in the 1st workshop
The 2-part structure will allow participants to develop and fine-tune their projects between the workshop sessions. During the 3 months from the first to the second workshop the project teams will stay in contact with the main workshop tutor, who will provide ongoing consultation on any aspect of their project development.
The main tutor of the workshop is Mikael Opstrup.
How to apply:
The workshop is open to Nordic filmmakers and producers. The deadline for applying with a project is 15 November, 2019. You apply by filling in the online application form with information about the project and the team.
Before you begin, please have the following material ready for upload:
- A 2 page pdf containing:
– working title
– a description of the project
– length, production status, expected release
– a description of and filmography for the director, producer and production company
- A still photo representing the project.
- A link to visual material (eg. trailer, clip etc.)
We strongly encourage producer & director teams to participate together. The fee for participating in DOC FORWARD is 1.125 € per person. This includes hotel, 3 daily meals, tutoring and all materials for both the first and second part of the workshop. Transportation is not included in the fee.
For any questions please contact Lea Maria Strandbæk Sørensen, email@example.com